6 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Safari
6 days Virunga and Nyiragongo safari, will give you a chance to see the famous endangered mountain gorillas and also take a hike up to the summit of the active Volcano Mount Nyiragongo. This safari starts from Goma, so you have to get to Goma and then embark on this Safari; you can choose to fly to Goma or enter DRC through Rwanda, still crossing the border at Goma. Also check into the tourism office at Virunga is at 11:00am so you have to purpose ti be at the Goma at least by 10:00am so that you can check into the Virunga tourism office at 11:00 am.
Highlights of the 6 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Safari
- Day 1: Arrival in DRC – Goma
- Day 2: Mountain Gorilla trekking
- Day 3: Mountain Gorilla Trekking
- Day 4: Free day
- Day 5: Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 6: Descending Mt Nyiragongo
Day 1: Arrival in DRC – Goma
- Arrival in DRC – Goma: You will arrive in DRC specifically Goma and head to the Virunga tourism office where you will check into at 11:00 am. At the tourism office, you will acquire a DRC visa, gorilla trekking permits, and volcano hiking permits. After checking into the tourism office and acquiring all the necessary documentation you will then move to your accommodation in Rumangabo, where the Virunga National park headquarters are too. You will check into your accommodation at this point, have lunch and an afternoon at leisure. You can choose to explore the beautiful area of Rumangabo by taking a nature walk through the different trails. You will have dinner and a night rest at this place.
Day 2: Mountain Gorilla trekking
- Gorilla trekking Experience: You will be up early, have breakfast and then head to Bukima ranger post where you will be briefed on the trekking experience and then assigned a trekking ranger before you head into the virunga rain forest for your trekking experience. The gorilla trekking experience may last between 4 to 5 hours but you will only spend one hour with these huge primates though you should know that the time you spend on the entire trek is mainly determined by how deep in the forest the mountain gorillas are on that day. After the trek, you will return to Bukima ranger post for lunch and after lunch explore the Bukima area to see the numerous birds in the location and also visit the bamboo project by the park. This day you will have dinner and an overnight stay at the bukima camp
Day 3: Mountain Gorilla Trekking
- Gorilla Trekking: You will be up early, have breakfast and at 8:30 am you will enter the forest again for your second mountain gorilla trekking experience that will take up to 4 or 5 hours. After the trek you will return to bukima camp where you will have lunch and then leave the camp to head back to Rumangabo. At Rumangobo you will check into your accommodation and have an afternoon at leisure.
Day 4: Free day
- Free day: This will be a free day for you, you will spend it any how you please; this free day will give you time to relax and rejuvenate before you head out for the Nyiragongo hike the next day. You will spend the day at leisure and have breakfast, lunch, and dinner at leisure; spending an overnight stay at your accommodation.
Day 5: Nyiragongo Hike
- Nyiragongo Hike: You will be up early, have breakfast and head to Kibati Ranger Post the starting point for the Nyiragongo trek. At kibati ranger post, you will have a briefing about the hike, receive a hiking ranger, hire a porter if you need too and start the climb up this active Volcano. It will take you up to 6 hours to get to the summit and by the time you get to the summit it will be evening, you will have dinner at the summit and spend an overnight at the summit.
Day 6: Descend Mt Nyiragongo & Departures
- Descend Mt Nyiragongo & Departures: You will be up early, have a snack for breakfast and then the crater rim to embark on your descent of the volcano back to Kibati ranger post. When you get to Kibati ranger post you will then head to Goma where you will depart the country either by flight at Goma international airport or through Rwanda where you will cross the border to Rwanda.
End of the 6 Days Virunga Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Safari
This package includes
- DRC Visa
- All permits
- all mentioned activities
- Accommodation and Meals
- tour guide
- fuelled tour car with a driver
This package excludes
- rental of Nyiragongo backpack
- porter fees
- anything of personal nature
See also: 5 Days Mikeno Mist