4 Days Congo Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike
4 Days Congo Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike is an amazing Congo Safari Package that entails hiking mount Nyiragongo and gorilla trekking in Virunga National Park. This four day DRC mountain gorilla trekking experience and Nyiragongo Hike will give you an opportunity to see mountain gorillas in their natural habitat in the virunga rain forest and after spend a night on the Niryagongo summit enjoying the warm ambiance as you see the hot larva of this active volcano.
This trip from Kigali city allows you access DRC, through the Rwanda- DRC border at Goma, which means you have to be in Rwanda on the eve of this trip.
Highlights of the 4 Days Congo Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 1: Transfer to DRC from Kigali city
- Day 2: Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 3: Ascending Mt. Nyiragongo
- Day 4: Descending Mt. Nyiragongo and transfer to Kigali city
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Transfer to DRC from Kigali city
- Transfer to DRC: The guide will pick you up from a location in Kigali by 7am and you set off for Goma to cross the border to Democratic Republic of Congo; border crossing is at 11am meaning if you want to beat this time you should be ready by 7 am when the guide picks you up in Kigali. At the border you will check in to the tourism office that is locate at Grande Barriere at the border. At the tourism office, you will receive your Visa and Gorilla trekking permits. After the process at the Tourism office you will then move to your accommodation in Rumangabo where the park headquarters are too. By then it will already be late afternoon, so you will have a late lunch and spend the rest of the evening at leisure exploring the Rumangabo nature trails, the congo hounds and seeing numerous birds that live around the area. You will retire for the day; have dinner and a night rest at Mikeno Lodge
Day 2: Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience: You will have to be up early, have breakfast and then head to Bukima for your mountain gorilla trekking experience. You will arrive at Bukima ranger post by 7 am, and connect with the park ranger guides and trekking porters. You will then be briefed about the whole mountain gorilla trekking experience, expectations and anything you need to know about the trekking experience. After the briefing you will then enter into the forest trekking the virunga rainforest trails until you meet the gorillas. When you meet the gorillas you will spend an hour with them and head out of the forest. The entire experience will take between 3 to 6 hours. After the gorilla trekking experience, you will converge at Bukima ranger post, connect with your guide and then head back to your accommodation for a late lunch and rest of the day at leisure. If you are up to it, you can visit Senkwekwe center the gorilla orphanage to see orphaned gorillas. The orphanage is not far from the accommodation facility so it will be easy to visit. Later you will have dinner and a night rest at your accommodation.
Day 3: Ascending Mt. Nyiragongo
- Nyiragongo Hike: Get very early, have breakfast and check out of your accommodation and then move to Kibati ranger post the starting point of the your hiking experience for Mt Nyiragongo. At Kibati ranger post you will be briefed about the hiking experience and if you wish, this is where you hire a hiking porter fir to help you with your luggage for the hike. You will then start your hike to the top of the volcano that takes up to 6 or 7 hours depending on your pace. When you arrive at the summit, you will enjoy the view of the hot larva, set up camp at the top, have dinner and an overnight stay at the top.
Day 4: Descending Mt. Nyiragongo and transfer to Kigali city.
- Descend: You will be up early, have a snack and then leave the crater rim to descend the volcano back to Kibati ranger post. Normally you will spend about 4 to 5 hours descending the mount and at Kibati ranger post you will connect with your guide with whom you will move to Goma at Grande Barriere, for border crossing back to Rwanda.
- Departures: After crossing back to Rwanda, you will proceed to Kigali city, having lunch en route. You will arrive in Kigali city in the late afternoon and the guide will drop you at the location of your choice in Kigali city.
Note: Your Rwanda Visa expires immediately you cross to the Democratic republic of Congo meaning you have to plan to acquire another Rwanda Visa at the border when exiting DRC.
End of the 4 Days Congo Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo Hike
This package includes
- All activities as outlined in the itinerary
- DRC Visa
- All accommodation and meals in DRC
- Vehicle with Fuel and Driver
- English speaking tour guide
This package excludes
- Rwanda Visas
- Porter fees
- Rental of Nyiragongo backpack
- Phone calls
- Anything of personal nature