6 Days Best of Congo Safari from Kigali
6 Days Best of Congo Safari is an opportunity to enjoy the trails and waters of Lake Kivu and then go for an adventure in DRC’s Virunga that includes mountain gorilla trekking and a 2 Day hike to mount Nyiragongo.
Highlights of the 6 Days Best of Congo Safari from Kigali
- Day 1: Lake Kivu Boat Ride
- Day 2: Lake Kivu Hiking
- Day 3: Check into Virunga
- Day 4: Mountain Gorilla trekking
- Day 5: Nyiragongo Ascend
- Day 6: Nyiragongo Descend and Transfer to Kigali
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Lake Kivu Boat Ride
- Lake Kivu Boat Ride: Day one of the 6 Days Best of Congo Safari, your tour guide will meet you in Kigali at 8 am and you will head to Lake Kivu. This is a 2 to 3-hour journey so you will be in Kivu in the late mid-morning coming to lunchtime. At Lake Kivu, you will check into your accommodation, have lunch and after lunch goes for a boat ride on Lake Kivu to experience the amazing vegetation along the lake, the scenic hilly views surrounding the lake, several birds and just enjoy the ambiance of the lake. This will take your whole afternoon and after you will head back to your accommodation for the rest of the evening at leisure, dinner and a night rest.
Day 2: Lake Kivu Hiking
- Lake Kivu Hiking: Day two of the 6 days Lake Kivu, Virunga, and Nyiragongo Safari, you will be up early and have breakfast as you enjoy the magical views and ambience of Lake Kivu. After breakfast you will head out to Gisenyi for a hiking experience along the Lake Kivu trails as you interact will locals in markets and communities that surround this lake. This hiking experience takes the whole day, so you will have a lunch break during the hike to eat and also after the hike in the late afternoon, you will just head back to your accommodation to refresh, have dinner and rest.
Day 3: Check into Virunga
- Check into Virunga: Day three of the 6 Days Best of Congo Safari, you will be up at around 9 am, have breakfast, check out of your accommodation and then head to the Grande Barriere border in Goma, where you check into Virunga at the Virunga tourism office by 13:00. The tourism office is located in the Grande Barriere border post building, opposite passport control so you will easily connect to it. At the tourism office, you will receive your mountain gorilla trekking permits and volcano trek permits that you will be using later on your Safari.
- Check-in at Lodge: After the check-in, you will then head to Kibumba Tented Camp, for a late lunch and the rest of the afternoon at leisure. You will have dinner and a night rest at the Camp.
Day 4: Mountain Gorilla trekking
- Mountain Gorilla trekking: Day four of the 6 days Best of Congo Safari, you will be up early having breakfast and then head out for a briefing session before the gorilla trekking experience. After the briefing, you will head into the forest with the ranger where you will find the mountain gorillas and spend an hour with them. After the hour with the gorillas, you will then head out of the forest and head back to the camp for a late lunch and the rest of the afternoon at leisure. The entire Gorilla trekking experience may take up to 4 or 5 hours, depending especially on how deep the gorillas are in the forest. You will have dinner and a night rest at the Camp
Day 5: Nyiragongo Ascend
- Nyiragongo Hike: Day five of the 6 days safari, you will be up early have breakfast and after breakfast, you will be transported to the Kibati Ranger Post, which is the starting point for the Nyiragongo Hike. At Kibati Ranger Post you will have a briefing about the trek and you will also have to hire porters that will help you will help you with your items especially as you climb the mountain. The climb up the mountain to the summit takes about 4 to 6 and when you arrive at the summit, you will pitch camp, have dinner and overnight rest at the summit.
Day 6: Nyiragongo Descend and Transfer to Kigali
- Nyiragongo Descend: Day six of the 6 Days Congo Safari, you will be up early, have breakfast and then leave the summit’s crater rim and descend down back to Kibati Ranger post.
- Return to Kigali: You will be at Kibati ranger post at around 11am or 12pm and then you head to Goma for border crossing back to Kigali. After border crossing you will head to Kigali, having lunch en route and when you arrive in Kigali the tour guide will drop you at location of your choice within the City.
End of the 6 Days Best of Congo Safari
- All activities at Lake Kivu
- Mountain gorilla trekking permit
- Mount Nyiragongo hiking fees
- Park entrance fees
- Congo Visa fees
- All accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full-time English speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary