6 Days Virunga Classic
6 days Virunga Classic is one tour that will give you a double mountain gorilla trekking experience and hike up the active Nyiragongo summit. The beauty with this 6 days Virunga Classic is that is starts in Goma either on Monday or Wednesday, it’s not available on other days.
Safari Highlights of the 6 days Virunga Classic
- Day 1: Check into Virunga National Park
- Day 2: First Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 3: Second Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 4: Leisure day
- Day 5: Climb to the Nyiragongo Summit
Day 1: Check into Virunga National Park
- Check-in to Virunga: Day one of 6 days Virunga Classic, will start at 10:00 am at Goma at the Grande Barriere border for border crossing where you will check into the Virunga tourism office by 11:00 am. This tourism office is within the Grande Barriere border post building just opposite the passport control office. At the Virunga Tourism Office you will be provided with the gorilla trekking permits as well as the Volcano trekking permits that you will use for both the treks. After the check-in at the tourism office, you will be transported to your accommodation in Rumangabo at the Virunga National Park Headquarters. You will be at you accommodation in the late afternoon, check-in has a late launch and enjoy the rest of the day at leisure. You can choose to spend your time exploring the Rumangabo nature trails and visit the Congo hounds in Virunga.
Day 2: First Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience: On the second day of your 6 days Virunga Classic,You will be up early for breakfast at your accommodation and after head to Bukima Ranger Post for your first mountain gorilla trekking experience. At Bukima Ranger Post you will meet trekking rangers and have a briefing about the trekking experience. After the briefing sessions, you will then head into the forest for your trekking experience where you will meet Mountain gorillas in their natural Habitat, on meeting the gorillas you will spend an hour with them before you head out of the forest. The entire experience will take up to 3 or 4 hours depending on the location of the gorillas; after the experience you will return to Bukima ranger post for a late lunch and later spend most of your afternoon, exploring Bukima, bird watching and visiting the bamboo project in the park. You will have dinner and an overnight stay at Bukima camp.
Day 3: Second Mountain Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience: On the third day of your 6 days Virunga Classic, you will be up, have breakfast and then head to the forest at 8:30am for your second-day mountain gorilla trekking experience in the Virunga rain forest. Just like the previous day, you will spend about 3 to 4 hours on this trekking experience and after the experience you then head out of the forest and have lunch at Bukima. After lunch you will then head to back to your accommodation at Virunga National Park for an afternoon at leisure, then later dinner and a night rest.
Day 4: Leisure day
- Leisure day: The fourth day of your 6 days Virunga Classic is a leisure day; you will wake up at pleasure and spend the day as you please. You will also decide when you want to have you meals. You will have dinner and an overnight stay at your accommodation.
Day 5: Climb to the Nyiragongo Summit
- Mount Nyiragongo Hike: On the fifth day of your 6 days Virunga Classic, You will be up early, have breakfast and then head to Kibati Ranger post for departure to the Nyiragongo Volcano trek starting point. At Kibati you will have a briefing about the trek and if you wish to, get porters and then embark on your climb up the volcano to the summit, which will take you about 5 to 6 hours depending on your speed.
Day 6: Descend the Nyiragongo Summit
- Descend Nyiragongo: On, the sixth day of your 6 days Virunga Classic You will be up early, have breakfast at the summit and then descend down the summit back to Kibati. When you arrive at Kibati you will then head to Goma, where the guide will drop you off at Grande Barriere border.
- Gorilla trekking permit
- Hiking fees
- Park entrance fees
- Vehicle entrance fees
- Congo Visa fees
- All accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full-time English speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary