Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations
Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations are the different places that travelers always flock because of their unique attractions and features. When visiting Uganda for a safari, travellers normally wonder which place to go to for their Safari, what the place will offer and many other things. Below are some of the places to visit for a safari to Uganda.
Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Murchison Falls National Park
- Kidepo Valley National Park
- Source of the Nile
Details of the top destinations
1. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
This is one of the Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in south western Uganda is one of the most visited places for a safari in Uganda. The park is home to the endangered mountain gorillas that are trekked all through the year. On your safari to the place you get to take park in the gorilla trekking activity to see the amazing gorillas in their natural habitat as they play, eat, hunt for food and nurture their young ones among other things. The trekking experience is the main activity done in this park and it normally takes about 6 to 7 hours with one hour spent with the gorillas. You need to be physically fit to take part in this activity and you have to book the trekking permits way in advance about 3 months in advance from Uganda Wildlife Authority or a tour operator. The permits cost 700 USD per person per trek. Other activities done in the park include Gorilla Habituation, bird watching, Batwa cultural experience, Bwindi Forest Nature Walks to the waterfalls, Buhoma Cultural tour, and mountain biking.
2. Queen Elizabeth National Park
Queen Elizabeth National Park in south western Uganda is famously known for its wide range of wildlife, birdlife and unique craters that all add to the beauty of this amazing park. This is the second biggest park of the Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations. The park is the oldest park in Uganda and was named after the queen of England. Activities you so on a safari in the park are
- Game drives that allow you to see the range of wildlife in the park including zebras, antelopes, impalas, kobs, buffaloes, leopards, warthogs and many others. The game drives start in the morning at 6 am for morning game drives or in the late afternoons for evening game drives.
- You get to have a lion experience in Ishasha where you see the unique tree-climbing lions. The lions are tracked by a special device that can be obtained at the park offices at a fee.
- Boat cruise: the boat cruise is an activity that takes on the Kazinga Channel that connects Lake Edward to Lake George. The cruise takes you down the channel as you view different water birds, water animals and enjoy the surrounding flora.
- Bird watching: the park is home to over 600 bird species including shoe bill stork, sedge warbles, and yellow throated cuckoo among others. All these birds can be viewed on bird watching sprees in the park that can be done at any time of the day.
- Kyambura Gorge, chimpanzee trekking: the Kyambura gorge in the park is home to chimpanzees that are habituated and can be trekked in the gorge any time of the year.
- Nature walks: you can take a nature walk in the park to view the amazing flora and craters in the park
A visit to the park will give you such a delightful safari experience you will be delighted you visited the park.
3. Murchison Falls National Park
Murchison Falls National Park in northwest Uganda is the largest national park in the country and is home to the famous Murchison Falls. This is the most visited and the biggest of all the Top 5 Uganda Safari Destinations. A visit to the park will give you an array of activities that you can engage in for your safari. The activities include:-
- Game drives: this park is home to a number of wildlife that you can view on either morning or evening game drives. The game drives give you a chance to see lions, zebras, giraffes, impalas, buffalos among others.
- Launch trips: launch trip on the Nile River take you on an amazing cruise downstream the river to the famous Murchison Falls. On the launch trip, you get to appreciate the amazing flora surrounding the river and some water birds.
- Top of the falls: after the launch trip if you are up to it you can opt to take a hike up the falls to view the falls from the top. This is a very thrilling experience however it’s not for the faint-hearted.
- Bird watching: the park being home to hundreds of bird species that give you a great fill of birding. You will have an opportunity to see the endemic Albertine birds, savannah forest birds and water birds including the famous shoe bill stork.
- For those into sporting or a competition, sport fishing on the Nile River is an amazing activity you get to engage in. you get to compete in catching fish from the river, that you can roast after for a meal.
- Other activities you can do in the park include nature walks in the park, cultural encounters and chimpanzee trekking in Budongo forest.
4. Kidepo Valley National Park
The park is home to a variety of wild animals, in fact, it’s considered the park with the most species of wild animals in Uganda and all these animals can be viewed on both morning and evening game drives in the park. The animals include but not limited to cheetahs, elephants, leopard, bush duiker, jackal, bushbuck, bush pig, ostrich, buffalo and many more.
The most popular activity done in this park is most definitely the comprehensive game drives that will give you a great fill of the wild, however other activities you can do in the park include bird watching, nature walks, and hike community visits.
Because the park is far from the country’s capital it is normally a long drive to the park so most travellers opt to fly to the park.
5. Source of the Nile
The source of the Nile in Jinja Uganda is a must-see for all visitors to Uganda. You get to see the point of start of the longest river in the world. This special moment for anyone who appreciates the monumental significance of the Nile River.
On top of the source of the Nile viewing, you get to have other recreational activities on the Nile like white water rafting, bungee jumping, quad biking, jet boating and kayaking.
The surrounding safari facilities also offer activities like horseback riding, swimming and community visits.