olcanoes National Park Fees
Volcanoes National Park Fees are the charges that travelers must pay to access the park premises for different tour activities. Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park mostly known for the endangered mountain gorillas is located up in North-Western Rwanda in Ruhengeri District. The park is home to several primate species but notably the mountain gorillas and tourists folk the park for mountain gorilla trekking activities.
Volcanoes National Park is a collection of the beautiful mountain ranges of Karisimbi, Bisoke, Gahinga, and Muhavura, the park also has rich montane and bamboo forest vegetation with swampy open grasslands and heath.
All the mountains in Volcanoes National Park are part of the eight volcanoes that make up the virunga massif with Karisimbi being the highest at 4507 meters.
The vegetation and the mountainous terrains of the park are home to the endangered mountain gorillas which are the main attractions of the park. The park currently has 10 habituated gorilla families that are available for gorilla trekking activities.
The park is also home to other primates especially the golden monkeys and about 200 bird species. The park is also within the bounds of Buhanga Eco-park, which is a prehistoric formed more than 60 million years ago. Buhanga Eco-park holds the unique musanze caves and folklore. Visitors to Volcanoes National Park they get a golden opportunity to visit this Eco-park too.
On top of the gorilla trekking activities, the park has other activities that include Golden monkey Trekking, Mountain Hiking, Camping, Visiting the Dian Fossey Grave, Guided Nature Tours, Buhanga Eco-park and Musanze Caves.
All these activities can be done on your visit to Volcanoes National park, of course, each activity on a different day for you to experience the fullness of the activity and enjoy the entire adventure.
Each activity has a specific charge and bel0w we highlight some of the charges on the different activities.
|FEES IN USD|
|Activity||Fees in Dollars||Notes|
|Gorilla Trekking||1500||These fees include Park entrance fees. The permit is purchased at least 3 months in Advance. |
The permit gives you access the one mountain gorilla family that you will see on a trekking experience in a group of eight.
|Golden monkey Trekking||100||The fees include park entrance fees.|
The permit can be purchased a day before the trekking experience and it allows you interact with golden monkeys that live in the Volcanoes National Park
|Combined Mountain Hiking||1500||The fees include Park entrance fees. They give you access to Mount Karisimbi, Mount Bisoke Mount Gahinga and Mount Muhavura. |
The fee is a collective fee for hiking all the four mountains and its non-refundable even when you decide not to hike one of the four mountains
|Hiking Mount Bisoke||75||This fee only allows you to hike Mount Bisoke alone not the other Mountains|
|Hiking Mount Karisimbi||400||The fee only allows you to hike mount Karisimbi alone not the other mountains. Hiking mount Karisimbi is a two day activity so travellers should put that in mind even as they book this hike.|
|Hiking Mount Gahinga||75||The fee only allows you to hike mount Gahinga|
|Hiking Mount Muhavura||100||The fee only allows you to hike mount Muhavura|
|Camping||30||The fee is you a tent a place to place your tent without beddings. you need your own beddings|
|Dian Fossey Grave||75|
|Guided Nature Tour||55|
Things to keep in mind
- Volcanoes National Park fees are paid through Rwanda Development Board or a tour operator
- Entrance fees for Volcanoes National Park are not literally standard they normally depend more on what you intend to do in the Park; which means you are not able to enter Volcanoes National Park if you don’t have an activity to do in the park.
- The fees in the table above apply to only international tourists visiting Rwanda and not locals of East African Residents.
- Mountain gorilla permit fees are only valid for one trek and they give you access to one gorilla family for one hour in a group of eight. If you wish to have a private gorilla trekking experience, you need to communicate to your tour operator or Rwanda development board for arrangement. Remember the additional costs apply.
- For birding experiences, you need to consult the park and book for the activity separately.