2 Days Gorilla Trekking from Kigali is the shortest gorilla trekking safari tour where you will enjoy the wilderness with the mountain gorillas.
Mountain Gorillas are gentle giant primates that live in dense mountainous forests; they are subspecies of the Gorilla beringei beringei and in the world, they are only found in Uganda, Rwanda, and DRC, with Uganda being a natural habitat to over half of the world’s Mountain Gorilla population. These endangered shy primates share almost 98% DNA with human beings and live in groups called families each family under the leadership of a male silverback who protects the group and has the most privileges including eating first at mealtimes.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park covers an area of 331 sq. km and is located in south-western Uganda on the edge of the Rift Valley in the ancient Bwindi rain forest. This impenetrable forest is among the most organically diverse places in the world and is home to over half of the world’s population of the endangered mountain gorillas; the mountainous area also has a range of breath-taking Flora and is home to a number of bird species.
Kigali city is the capital of Rwanda; a country that borders Uganda to the south west. The city is 4-5 hours from Bwindi impenetrable National park, making it a shorter route compared to the 8-9 hours distance from Entebbe in Uganda.
Highlights of the 2 Days Gorilla Trekking from Kigali tour
- Mountain Gorilla Trekking
- Topography sightings
- Kigali City Tour (optional)
- Mountain biking (optional)
- Batwa trail experience (optional )
Day One: Transfer from Kigali to Bwindi
- Transfer from Kigali to Bwindi: The first day of this 2 Days Gorilla Trekking from Kigali tour will be your transfer from Kigali to Bwindi and the dynamics of this transfer vary depending on your preferences and the time you’re in Kigali. The journey from Kigali to Bwindi is 4-5 hours so you can choose to set off in the morning or afternoon, either way, you will get to Bwindi before dark.
- Setting off in the afternoon from Kigali. This can be because you arrive in Kigali on that very day you are heading to Bwindi, meaning you have to plan for a flight that arrives in Kigali within the morning and mid-morning hours of the day, so that you can be in Kigali latest 12pm, to give you ample time to relax a bit and have lunch before you set off to Bwindi. Here your guide picks you from Kigali International airport and then takes you to lunch after lunch, you will set off to Bwindi.
- Kigali City Tour: Or, You can be in Kigali and choose to have a morning city tour in Kigali the very day your heading to Bwindi; here you get up moderately early about 7 am, have breakfast and about 8am your guide will pick you from a location in Kigali, and take you on a Kigali city tour to experience the sights and sounds of Kigali city and to visit the Kigali genocide memorial site, Kigali memorial epicentre and other city landmarks. This tour takes about 2 to 3 hours, after which you will have lunch and then set off to Bwindi. (The city tour is optional so you can choose to skip it and wait for the guide to pick you up in the afternoon at set off time, what you prefer is what you choose)
- Transfer to Bwindi: When you set off from Kigali in the afternoon you will arrive in Bwindi, in the evening, check into your accommodation facility, have dinner, chill, relax and get a night rest.
Option 2: setting off in the morning from Kigali
- Transfer to Bwindi: If you wish to set off in the morning from Kigali, you will have to spend a night in Kigali City and then get up early the day of heading to Bwindi, get ready for the trip and have breakfast. The guide will pick you from a location in Kigali City and together you will set off to Bwindi. You will arrive in Bwindi in the afternoon; check into your accommodation facility, have lunch then relax and chill.
- Mountain Biking: If you are up to it the guide will take you for mountain biking and then the batwa trail experience in the afternoon through to the evening. After the activities, you will return to your accommodation facility, freshen up, relax, have dinner then rest for the night.
NB: For both these options; on your way to Bwindi, you will have a major stop at the Rwanda- Uganda border to obtain a Ugandan Visa that will allow you entry into Uganda and also have a couple of security checks at the border; you will then proceed to Bwindi, as you enjoy the sights of hills and a variety of flora on your way in the comfort of the car.
Day 2: Gorilla Trekking, Transfer from Bwindi to Kigali
- Gorilla Trekking: Day 3 of the 2 Days Gorilla Trekking from Kigali tour will start very early and you will have to be up at least by 7am, have breakfast at your accommodation facility, pack you meal and water for the trek and all the other things you may need on the trek. 7:45am you will gather at the Trekking offices for grouping, briefing on trekking guidelines and all other information you may need. Your group will be assigned a ranger who will take you on this trek then off you will go for your mountain gorilla trekking experience. The mountain Gorilla trekking experience takes between 5- 6 hours depending on how far the gorilla family you’re visiting is, from your start point. You have to know that most of this time is spent on the trek to and from the gorilla family thus you only spend 1 hour with the gorillas. You will use this hour with the Gorillas to interact with them, take pictures and any other thing that is permitted by the authorities.
- Return to Kigali: After your trek, you will head back to your accommodation facility, freshen up, have a meal and check out to head to Kigali. Your will leave Bwindi in the afternoon and you will be in Kigali in the evening; the guide will drop you off at a location of your choice. (A location in Kigali City)
And that will be it for your 2 Days Gorilla Trekking from Kigali.
|Gorilla trekking permits and other activity fees||Visas|
|Accommodation with meals in Bwindi||Tips and Gratuities|
|English Speaking Tour Guide||Alcoholic Drinks|
|Drinking Water||Laundry Services|
|4WD Safari Vehicle with Fuel and driver (tour guide)||Telephone calls and any other items of personal nature|
See also: 3Day Mountain Gorilla Trekking Safari