5 Days Gorilla trekking and Mount Sabinyo hike
5 Days Gorilla trekking and Mount Sabinyo hike takes to the most adventurous parks in Uganda – Bwindi Impenetrable national park and Mgahinga national park. This trip features a hike to Mount Sabinyo and gorilla trekking located in the far South Western part of Uganda close to Uganda-Rwanda border and Uganda-Congo border. Sabinyo hike takes place in Mgahinga national park located in the Virunga Mountains adjoining with the Volcanoes national park in Rwanda and Virunga national park in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Mgahinga national park covers three of the Virunga Mountains including Mount Sabinyo, Mount Muhavura and Mount Gahinga and these mountains can be climbed from Uganda. Mount Sabinyo is the oldest volcano with a summit of 3,669 meters marking an intersection of Uganda, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo borders. The name “Sabinyo” means “an old man’s teeth” and this was because its serrated summit resembles worn out teeth in a gum line. Bwindi Impenetrable national park is the world’s habitant for half of the remaining mountain gorillas in the world offering visitors the best experience of gorillas with a maximum adventure for both habituated and semi-habituated gorilla families. These experiences are both different and unique providing interested visitors more time with the mountain gorillas.
This trip starts and ends in Kampala which is a long day taking about is 8-9 hours’ on the road however this drive is adventurous. If you do not want to spend a lot of time on the drive, you may choose to fly to Kisoro airstrip in Kisoro town which is the closest to the park. Flying to Kisoro airstrip takes 2 hours and from Kisoro to Mgahinga national park, is about 40 minutes’ drive. Alternatively, you can choose to start and end in Kigali – Rwanda because the park is closer from Kigali as compared to Kampala. This is about taking about 4-5 hours driving through the rolling hills of Rwanda and Uganda. Booking the 5 days Mgahinga national park tour now and have a lifetime primates’ experience.
Highlights of the 5 Days Gorilla trekking and Mount Sabinyo hike
- Day 1: Kigali pick up and transfer to Mgahinga national park
- Day 2: Hike Mount Sabinyo
- Day 3: Explore Lake Mutanda on a boat trip
- Day 4: Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 5: Return to Kigali –Rwanda
Day 1: Transfer to Mgahinga national park
- Transfer to Mgahinga national park: Depending on your location in Kampala/Entebbe, you will be met by our company representative who will also be your safari guide throughout the tour. He will introduce and brief you about the whole itinerary before you embark on your journey to Mgahinga national park located in Kisoro district in the far south west of Uganda close to the Rwanda and Congo borders. Since it is quite a long drive, you will enjoy en-route stops at the Equator and in Mbarara town which is the largest and urban town in the western part of Uganda for lunch and refreshments. On reaching, Kisoro town in the evening, proceed to your accommodation. Check-in, refresh as you wait for dinner and overnight rest.
- Luxury option: Gahinga lodge/Lake Mutanda Resort
- Mid-range option: Lake Mulehe Safari lodge
- Budget option: Travellers’ Rest Hotel/Muchi Lodge
Day 2: Hike Mount Sabinyo
- Hike Mount Sabinyo: Wake up early, have early breakfast and transfer to the Mgahinga national park head office and report for a briefing from the park officials about your hike. Thereafter set off with your guides to embark on the climb. Mount Sabinyo is surrounded by a lot of forests giving great views of different bird species known as the Albertine birds only found in this area such as the rare Rwenzori Turaco. During your hike, you may get an opportunity to spot the mountain gorillas and the golden monkeys if it’s your lucky day. Upon reaching at the top, you will be rewarded crater lakes at the top and you will also be able to view all the 3 countries of Virunga Mountains including Uganda, Rwanda and Congo. It takes 8 hours climbing and descending from Mount Sabinyo. Upon return, meet your guide waiting to return you to your lodge to retire from the tiring day. Dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 3: Explore Lake Mutanda on a boat trip
- Explore Lake Mutanda on a boat trip: After breakfast at leisure, connect to Lake Mutanda for a boat trip on a canoe. The lake is interesting while exploring on a dugout canoe where you will visit several islands on the lake and sights of different bird species, relax at the lake shores as you enjoy the views of the Virunga Mountains. After lunch, connect to Rushaga sector of Bwindi Impenetrable national park. It’s about 2 hours driving to your accommodation in Rushaga sector. Connect to your booked lodge for dinner and overnight stay
- Luxury option: Chameleon Hill Lodge
- Mid-range option: Ichumbi Gorilla lodge
- Budget option: Rushaga Gorilla Camp
Day 4: Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience : Wake up early, have breakfast and transfer to the park head offices where you will gather with other trekkers for a briefing from the park officials about mountain gorilla trekking experience. You will later be grouped on groups of 8 people each to visit a particular gorilla family. Connect to the starting point with your trekking gears along with the armed rangers to start the hike. The search of the gorillas takes between 2-8 hours depending on the movement of a particular gorilla family. On finding the gorilla family, you will view them at 8 meters away from them as they play, adults feeding and groan among themselves. Time given during this moment is 1 hour while you take pictures and videos of the creatures. Thereafter, return to the starting point where your guide will be waiting to drive you back to your lodge. Depending on the time you return from the trekking activity, you go for a community tour and visit the Batwa people. Dinner will be served at your lodge as above at your own convenience and overnight stay
Day 5: Return to Kigali Rwanda
- Return to Kigali Rwanda: Wake up early, have breakfast, check-out of the lodge and embark on your journey back to Kigali. It’s the same driving time of 4-5 hours from Kigali -Rwanda to Kisoro and back via Cyanika border. It’s an interesting drive with rewarding spectacular views of the rolling terrain hills and view of the Virunga Mountains. Have en-route lunch upon arrival in Kigali city then if you are still interested and have time, a Kigali city tour, will wrap up your adventure safari. Visit the famous Kigali genocide memorial site and Kimoronko market. Your safari guide will drop you off at a location you advise or if you have a flight, you will be dropped off at Entebbe airport for your onward flight back home.
End of Safari.