5 Days Uganda Wildlife & Gorilla Trekking Safari From Kigali
5 Days Uganda Wildlife & Gorilla Trekking Safari from Kigali City is one of the top Uganda Safari packages that a traveler can book and have an exclusive tour of the top 2 national parks in the country. Queen Elizabeth national park is the second largest wildlife national park located in the western part of Uganda in Rubirizi district near Kasese district. Queen Elizabeth national park has massive biodiversity with a landscape including bushland, savannah, wetland, and lush vegetation. The park covers an area of 1,978 square kilometers and was first founded in 1952 as Kazinga national park however later after the visit of Queen Elizabeth 11; it was renamed Queen Elizabeth national park. The park inhabits about 95 mammal species including the big 4 game (Lions, Leopards, buffaloes, and Elephants), other animals including; hyenas, hippos, waterbucks, Oribi to mention a few and over 600 bird species. Queen Elizabeth national park is surrounded by 2 lakes including Lake Albert and Lake Edward which support water activities like boat cruises, and fishing activities. Queen Elizabeth national park is located in the western part of Uganda, covering a distance of about 335Kms from Kigali-Rwanda crossing via Katuna border.
Bwindi Impenetrable national park, on the other hand, is the most visited primates’ national park for gorilla trekking experience located in the southwestern part of Uganda close to Rwanda-Uganda border at the edge of the Rift Valley. Bwindi Impenetrable national park is one of Uganda’s oldest national park with the diverse rainforest of over 25,000 years ago and contains about 400 plant species. Bwindi Impenetrable national park inhabits half of the remaining endangered mountain gorillas in the world and it is divided into 4 sectors including; Buhoma sector which is the oldest trekking sector, Rushaga sector which has the largest number of gorilla families, Ruhija sector and finally Nkuringo sector. Bwindi forest also shelters some species of mammals including the forest elephants and the different species of antelopes. The park is also rich with different bird species including Albertine Rift endemics.
This epic 5 days safari to Queen Elizabeth national park and Bwindi Impenetrable national park from Kigali takes you to two of Uganda’s best wildlife and primates’ national parks that are also the most visited. Bwindi is best for gorilla trekking and gorilla habituation while Queen Elizabeth national park is best for tree-climbing lions. This 5 days Queen Elizabeth national park and Bwindi Impenetrable national Park from Kigali is purposely for travelers’ interested in visiting these incredible national parks with flights that arrive and depart from Kigali international airport to reduce on the driving distance from Entebbe airport as it is closer to start and end such a trip in Kigali international airport as compared to the long driving distance from Entebbe/Kampala to Bwindi Impenetrable national park.
Highlights of the 5 Days Uganda Wildlife & Gorilla Trekking Safari from Kigali
- Day 1: Pick up and transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Day 2: Morning game drive and boat cruise
- Day 3: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Day 4: Gorilla trekking experience
- Day 5: Drive back to Kigali
Day 1: Pick-up in Kigali and Transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park
- Transfer to Queen: The first day of the 5 Days Uganda Wildlife & Gorilla Trekking Safari requires you to at least arrive in Uganda a day before or have an every morning arrival flight at Kigali international airport. This is because you need about 6 to 7 hours driving from Kigali city to cross to Uganda – Queen Elizabeth national park. So then depending on your location in Kigali, you will be picked up by our company representative/guide who will then transfer to Queen Elizabeth national park. The journey is scenic with great views of the rolling hills of Rwanda, cross via Katuna border and proceed to the western part of Uganda to Queen Elizabeth national park. Hot Lunch will be served en-route at one of the best restaurants in one of the towns in en-route.
- Afternoon Game Drive: Arrive in the park late afternoon and drive to some of the exploration crater lakes around the park. The crater lakes are very interesting to view providing exciting pictures. Proceed to check-in at your lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay.
- Accommodation and meals; Pumba Safari Cottages for budget option, Parkview Safari lodge for mid-range option, and Kyambura Gorge lodge for luxury option
Day 2: Lion tracking/Morning game drive and afternoon boat cruise.
- Lion tracking: You will wake up early, have breakfast and drive for an early morning game drive but first, you will go for a lion tracking experience where you will get to see the lions then do a game drive in the Kisenyi region for more animals like antelopes, buffaloes, elephants, warthogs and waterbucks just to mention a few.
- Boat Cruise Safari: You will return to the lodge for lunch then later afternoon, you will go for a launch cruise along the Kazinga channel where you will get an opportunity to see a number of bird species, elephants and buffalos, hippos and crocodiles at the lake shores. Return and relax at lodge as above
Day 3: Transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable national park
- Transfer to Bwindi: After breakfast early in the morning, check-out of the lodge drive heading to Bwindi Impenetrable national park via the Ishasha sector of Queen Elizabeth national park for an opportunity to spot the tree-climbing lions. Have en-route hot lunch then proceed to Bwindi forest. It’s about 4-5 hours journey to Bwindi national park. Arrive at your lodge close to the park depending on which gorilla trekking sector you will go to. Check-in for dinner and overnight at the lodge.
- Accommodation and Dinner; Buhoma Community Rest Camp for budget, Buhoma Haven lodge for mid-range, and Buhoma lodge for luxury
Day 4: Gorilla trekking experience
- Gorilla trekking experience: Breakfast is served quite early since you are required to report at the park headquarters by 7 am for a briefing about Gorilla trekking by the park officials. By 8 am, you will connect to the starting point after you have being allocated a group to trek along with your trekking gears. The time taken trekking is not guaranteed between 2-8 hours depending on the movement of the gorillas hiking up and down the impenetrable forest to find the gorillas. Meeting the gorillas is one of the most fascinating lifetime experiences. You will observe and take pictures of them at very close range. After an hour with the long-awaited gorillas, your guide and rangers will lead you back to the starting point where your driver will readily be waiting to transfer you back to the lodge for a restful evening. Dinner and overnight stay at the same lodge as above.
Day 5: Transfer back to Kigali/Departure
- Transfer back to Kigali: Wake up early and enjoy your breakfast then say goodbye to the lodge staff then embark on your journey back to Kigali city. Its approximately 4-5 hours’ drive from Bwindi to Kigali crossing via Katuna border after clearing with the immigration office. Have en-route lunch at one of the hotels in Kigali. Depending on your flight schedule, you may do a city tour, visiting a Kigali genocide memorial and Kimoronko market. You will be dropped off at the airport for your onward flight back home. End of 5 Days Gorilla safari.
End of the 5 Days Uganda Wildlife & Gorilla Trekking Safari from Kigali
Packing list for Safari;
- The tennis shoes/hiking shoes for trekking
- Long light pants, long sleeved shirts and long stockings (to tack in your pants)
- Rain poncho/Jacket
- A hat and sunglasses
- Good gardening gloves.
- Sun cream and insect repellent
- Camera and binocular
- You also need to pack both light and warm clothes as the weather can change often.