7 Days Congo Rwanda Primates Safari
7 Days Congo Rwanda Primates Safari will give you an opportunity to experience Apes in two separate counties in the Virunga Massif. On this safari, you will appreciate the differences in Habitats and the species in the different regions and you will enjoy the drives through to the different parks.
Highlights of the 7 Days Congo Rwanda Primates Safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Nyungwe
- Day 2: chimpanzee trekking and canopy walk
- Day 3: Transfer to DRC
- Day 4: Mountain gorilla trekking
- Day 5: Chimpanzee trekking
- Day 6: Transfer to volcanoes
- Day 7: Golden monkeys trekking transfer to Kigali
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Transfer to Nyungwe
- Transfer to Nyungwe: On day one of the 7 days ape experience in Rwanda and DRC, the guide will pick you at 8 am at a location in Kigali and then you will embark on your journey south to Nyungwe National park making a stop at the king’s palace in Nyanza and the Rwanda national museum in butare before you proceed to the park. The travel to Nyungwe National park is quite long, so you will have lunch en route and you will arrive in Nyungwe in the evening, check into your accommodation, and have dinner and night rest.
Day 2: Chimpanzee trekking and canopy walk
- Chimpanzee trekking: Day two of the 7 days ape experience in Rwanda and DRC, you will be up quite early, have breakfast and then head to the park offices for a chimpanzee trekking briefing before you are transported to the trekking point to enter the forest for your trekking experience. When you enter the forest you will spend most of the time searching for the chimpanzees and when you find them you will spend one hour with the chimpanzees before you leave the great nyungwe forest. You will be done with the whole experience in 4 or 5 hours, and then you will head back to your accommodation for lunch and a chill from the trekking experience
- Canopy walk: After lunch, you will go for a canopy walk on top of the great nyungwe forest, where you will see the region from the top and glimpses of numerous birds and animals that live in the forest. After the walk you will head back to your accommodation, spend the rest of the day at leisure, and later have dinner and a night rest.
Day 3: Transfer to DRC
- Transfer to DRC: Day three of the 7 days ape experience in Rwanda and DRC, you will be up early, have breakfast at your accommodation, check out and then head out to Rwanda – DRC border in Goma to cross into DRC. You will be at the Grande barrier by 11:00 am head to the Virunga tourism office where you will acquire your Visa and gorilla trekking permits. After the process at the tourism office, you will head to your accommodation at the park’s headquarters. When you get there you will check into your accommodation, have lunch most probably a late lunch and then relax; If you wish, you can take a nature walk to enjoy the scenery of the place as you see some birds and butterflies. You will have dinner and a night rest at your accommodation.
Day 4: Mountain Gorilla trekking
- Gorilla Trekking Safari: Day four of the 7 Days Congo Rwanda Primates Safari, You will be up early, have breakfast then head to Bukima ranger post where you will have a trekking briefing, meet your trekking ranger and after the briefing head to the forest with the group and your trekking ranger. You will spend about 5 to 6 hours on the trek with one hour spent with the mountain gorillas after the gorilla trekking experience you will be transported back to your accommodation at the Virunga National Park headquarters where you have a late lunch, afternoon at leisure and then later dinner and a night rest.
Day 5: Chimpanzee trekking
- Chimpanzee trekking: Day five of the 7 days ape experience in Rwanda and DRC, You will be up pretty early 5 am, you may not have time for breakfast or you will need to carry a snack because at 6:30 am you will head out for your chimpanzee trekking experience in the Mahura forest. This experience is similar to mountain gorilla trekking, where you will spend most of the time on the trek and the one hour with the primates. The entire experience will go on up to the early mid-morning where you will return to your accommodation for a late breakfast or brunch. You will spend the rest of the day exploring the Park headquarters, relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery of the park. You will have lunch, dinner and an overnight stay at your accommodation.
Day 6: Transfer to Volcanoes
- Transfer to Volcanoes: Day six of the 7 days ape experience in Rwanda and DRC, You will be up early, have breakfast at your accommodation and then head to Goma to cross back to Kigali, It’s important to note that your Rwandan Visa expires immediately you cross into DRC, so you will have to acquire a new visa to cross back to Rwanda. You will be done with all the migration process at the border by 12pm latest 1pm and then you will cross into Rwanda to Volcanoes National Park, where you will on arrival, check into your accommodation and have a late lunch.
- Iby’iwacu culture village: In the evening you will visit the Iby’iwacu culture village for a Rwandan culture encounter of songs, dance, and stories. After this encounter, you will head back to your accommodation for dinner and a night rest at your accommodation.
Day 7: Golden Monkey trekking & Transfer to Kigali
- Golden Monkey trekking: Day Seven of the 7 Days Congo Rwanda Primates Safari, you will get up early have breakfast and then head to the Park’s headquarter for a briefing on golden monkey trekking and after the briefing, you will enter the forest to search for the golden monkeys; when you find them you will spend an hour with them and after trek back to the park headquarters. The entire experience will take up to 4 or 5 hours and after the experience, you will head back to your accommodation for lunch and a chill from the trek.
- Transfer to Kigali: After your Lunch, you will then, head back to Kigali, the drive is about 2 to 3 hours and when you arrive in Kigali the guide will drop you at a location of your choice within the city.
End of the 7 Days Ape experience in Rwanda and DRC
- Trekking permits
- All activities mentioned
- Park entrance fees
- Vehicle entrance fees
- Congo Visa fees
- All accommodation as per itinerary
- 4X4 safari vehicle & Fuel
- Full-time English speaking driver/ guide
- Bottled mineral water while on safari
- Air tickets
- All items of personal nature like laundry, phone calls, beer, e.t.c
- Anything else not included in the itinerary